Subject Matter: Physical Education
Grade Level: 8th grade
Students will demonstrate knowledge defensive strategies in basketball.
Common Core State Standard and/or Academic Content Standard:
1.3 Demonstrate basic offensive and defensive skills and strategies in team physical activities.
Technology Standard: NETS for Students:
3D. Students build knowledge by actively exploring real-world issues and problems, developing ideas and theories and pursuing answers and solutions.
Website Addresses Used as Resources: Be sure these links are “hot” and take the viewer directly to the correct web page URL.
Student Research Questions:
Essential Question: See discussion of essential questions in week seven documents and resources or learning activities folder.
1. What is a more effective defense for your current P.E basketball team you are on?
Subsidiary Questions (6-10):
2. What is a way for a team to get another to stop playing zone?
3. What is the weak area of the 1-3-1 defense?
4. What type of players are best suited to play man to man?
5.What are the disadvantages of man to man?
6. Where are optimal areas to trap opposing players?
7. What are the negatives to playing a 2-3 zone?
8. Who's responsibility is the corner player in the 1-3-1?
9. When do you deny and when do you play help defense in man to man?
10. Which defense is better for rebounding?
Assessment: In what ways did the use of the Internet promote student learning?
I gave them 3 separate coaching websites that have videos and pictures to demonstrate concepts.
How will you assess student learning with this assignment?
Students will be required to answer at least 4 questions of the 9 listed along with the essential question. Students should give 2-3 sentence answers if explanations are needed.
Describe your assessment tool and list 3-4 criteria for grading this learning activity.
I will use the questions in the scavenger hunt as well as requiring students to draw the 3 defenses that are covered
1.Students must give 2-3 examples of the benefits of the defense they would like to run with their P.E Team.
2.Students must correctly answer 4 sub questions
3.Students must draw a picture of 2 different zone defenses and one man to man picture
Posted at 11:57 am by jcherry1015